two problems about running Htop

For general ARCHLabs and Arch issues.
Please make a serious attempt to search for your issue before posting here.
We can't offer help if you have the Testing Repos enabled.

Moderator: Founder

two problems about running Htop

PostPosted by alga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 pm

If I using Alt+F3 to launch Htop, the terminal termite would appear. If I using main menu to run it, the title of the window would be 'termite' too.
Last edited by alga on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
alga

Running Release: R2D2

Re: problem about Htop

PostPosted by Dobbie03 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Are you saying the title of the terminal windows says termite even though you are using htop?
I like my Metal like my coffee.......black
Dobbie03
Founder
Founder

Running Release: DobbieBang

Re: two problems about running Htop

PostPosted by alga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 pm

What I mean is that if I run Htop by pressing Alt-F3 and searching Htop then click "Launch," the program that runs would be termite, not Htop. If I run Htop by selecting the entry "Task Manager (htop)" of the "Accessories" sub-menu, the program that runs subsquently seems to be Htop itself but the name of it which displays on the top center of the window is "termite". In other words, yes, in the second situation the title of the program is "termite" even though I am running Htop. Sorry if my meaning wasn't clear and I am glad to make it more clear again.

P.S. I am not sure if Htop should running under termite and both the situations are normal.
Last edited by alga on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
alga

Running Release: R2D2

Re: problem about Htop

PostPosted by Dobbie03 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Not a bug, moving to Basic Help & Support.
I like my Metal like my coffee.......black
Dobbie03
Founder
Founder

Running Release: DobbieBang

Re: two problems about running Htop

PostPosted by natemaia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello
On the issue with htop.

What's going on?? -> nothing more than the title of termite being set to "htop" or whatever it may be

You can easily change in your rc.xml (where all keybindings are written for openbox) with --title=TITLE (see man termite)
or menu.xml (where the right click menu is written)

Both of these files are located in ~/.config/openbox

Htop is a CLI (command line interface) task/resource monitor meaning it runs in a terminal, most terminals offer the option to set a window name and some do it automatically.
Generally speaking htop is not a standalone application, it must be run within a terminal (though this isn't entirely accurate, it does illustrate the point well)

If you would like a standalone GUI taskmanager I suggest gnome-system-monitor or xfce4-taskmanager.. (System Monitor) & (Task Manager) respectively

Regardless it's not so much an issue and more of a feature. In ArchLabs we preinstall alot of common applications that almost everyone uses (like htop)
and offer a pre-setup openbox menu and keybinds with entries to run these applications which otherwise would only be accessible by running a terminal first then the app.

When you search via a launcher for a CLI application it will be opened in your default/preferred terminal, in this case termite.
This can be changed in your preferred applications menu entry or by running: exo-preferred-applications

I hope this answers your questions properly and hope I don't sound mean, arrogant, or like a know-it-all. Just trying to offer sound knowledge

If there is something I missed or you did't understand please tell me, hopefully I can help out :D
natemaia
ArchLabs Guru
ArchLabs Guru

Running Release: 5.0

Return to Basic Help and Support