Tech Support/Inquiry ArchLabs Install***

For general ARCHLabs and Arch issues.
Please make a serious attempt to search for your issue before posting here.
We can't offer help if you have the Testing Repos enabled.

Moderator: Founder

Tech Support/Inquiry ArchLabs Install***

PostPosted by Perseus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Greetings Archlabs team,
Just wanted to say I have not yet installed but am very impressed with what I have seen, and I feel this is the distro I have been looking for. Getting to the point I have tried to install on my alienware 17x laptop and I get the message 'this computer does not satisfy some of the recommended requirements for installing archlabs, Installation can continue but some features might be disabled. Also I had tried a few times, originally it did not really boot up (from what I could see), though when I had a second monitor attached I could access archlabs through the second monitor. Also a message appeared 'briefly' that stated something about the kernel not loading. Ok...... so please excuse me if I have missed articles covering this. I just noticed that it was suggested Archlabs be installed on a pc not laptop>>> so I am just wanting to hear 'from the horses mouth' if there is some hope that I can use archlabs (r2d2) on my laptop. And again a great job from what I can see. Also great work with the tutorials on youtube. Love the aesthetics of the R2D2 release. Would love to be able to solve this*
Thanks in advance*
Perseus

Running Release: r2d2

Re: Tech Support/Inquiry ArchLabs Install***

PostPosted by Nightowl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Where did this message come from? The live installer.
'this computer does not satisfy some of the recommended requirements for installing archlabs, Installation can continue but some features might be disabled".

Maybe post up some specs on your hardware, like a website that lists its configuration etc.
Nightowl

PostPosted by erikdubois » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 am

I am also a bit surprised... never heard of this message before.
Type it in as it appears so we can go and read the code lines of calamares.
Living to learn, learning to live.
Linux fits well in my life's motto.
More info on http://erikdubois.be
Archlabs support articles are on https://goo.gl/AaYI0b
Archlabs support youtube channel is on https://goo.gl/Lovquv
erikdubois
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by Dobbie03 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:05 am

I have installed ArchLabs on a number of Laptops with no issues. Are you connected to the internet when you run the installer?
I like my Metal like my coffee.......black
Dobbie03
Founder
Founder

Running Release: DobbieBang

PostPosted by Perseus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi - thank you for your responses.
- I have access to wifi internet that can be applied once desktop is up- can access internet after it loads.
-the details as it appears:
The first thing I noticed was that on the boot screen it shows the iso as 'archlinux - archiso' (more or less) specifically not showing Archlabs iso. (just to clarify I had followed the steps to download and do checksum and that was all good as far as I could tell.) When the scripts start populating the page when loading up an error message appears:

''[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules: See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details''.

As the desktop comes into veiw (on second screen) a box at the top right appears: 'VBOXClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting'. From inside of Archlabs terminal I typed 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' and the following appeared:
- systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since (date) 4 s ago
Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
man:modules-load.d(5)
Process: 408 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 408 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxguest' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxsf' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxvideo' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxguest' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxsf' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd-modules-load[408]: Failed to insert 'vboxvideo' : No such device
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd[1] systemd-movules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd[1] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd[1] systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
July 19 (TIME) ArchLabs systemd[1] systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Next is system information that I could gather:
-Alienware 17x r4
‘Information about this system’ (from Manjaro)

Hardware: 8x intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @2.70 GHz
Memory: 31.4 GiB of RAM

Details about Alienware 17x R4 (found online):

Quad-core Intel Bridge processor, 8GB of Ram, GeForce GTX 680M GPU

inxi -F (in the terminal)

System:    Host: tenten-1010 Kernel: 4.9.37-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
          Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux                                  
Machine:   Device: portable System: Alienware product: M17xR4 v: A11                         
          Mobo: Alienware model: M17xR4 v: A11                                              
          UEFI [Legacy]: Alienware v: A11 date: 01/31/2013                                  
Battery    BAT1: charge: 4.5 Wh 9.9% condition: 45.2/90.0 Wh (50%)                           
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3740QM (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB                          
          clock speeds: max: 3700 MHz 1: 3499 MHz 2: 3500 MHz 3: 3499 MHz 4: 3500 MHz       
          5: 3515 MHz 6: 3502 MHz 7: 3524 MHz 8: 3504 MHz                                   
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 680M]                                            
          Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) driver: nouveau                                
          Resolution: 1920x1080@59.99hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz                                  
          OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE4 version: 4.3 Mesa 17.1.4                    
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio Controller                
          driver: snd_hda_intel                                                             
          Card-2 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel                   
          Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.37-1-MANJARO                     
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c               
          IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: b8:ca:3a:d6:d3:db                                     
          Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 driver: iwlwifi                            
          IF: wlp8s0 state: up mac: 60:6c:66:24:03:b0                                       
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2032.4GB (56.9% used)                                             
          ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB                               
          ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SAMSUNG_SSD_PM83 size: 32.0GB                               
          ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Expansion size: 1000.2GB                                
Partition: ID-1: / size: 882G used: 141G (17%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1                       
          ID-2: swap-1 size: 37.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2              
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 95.0C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 61.0                             
          Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A                                                     
Info:      Processes: 234 Uptime: 5:48 Memory: 3251.0/32130.3MB                              
          Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.23                  

Thanks ArchLabs team for your feedback. Will keep looking into it also*
Perseus

PostPosted by Perseus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 pm

'this computer does not satisfy some of the recommended requirements for installing archlabs, Installation can continue but some features might be disabled"

This came up included in the first box of the live installer ( as the desktop environment first appears)
Perseus

PostPosted by Nightowl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Are you wanting to multi boot manjaro and archlabs? Or get rid of manjaro and install archlabs?

I cant say i could be of any help as this seems like a strange issue you are having, the Archlabs team should be able to help.

That message below tells me that Installation on a system requires you to remove the virtualbox guest utilities after the system is installed.

'VBOXClient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running. Exiting',
Nightowl

PostPosted by Perseus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Are you wanting to multi boot manjaro and archlabs? Or get rid of manjaro and install archlabs?

I am wanting to do a clean install Archlabs r2d2*
Perseus

PostPosted by Nightowl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Perseus wrote:

I am wanting to do a clean install Archlabs r2d2*

Only thing i can think of is maybe the live media (iso) did not copy over correctly to the installation media (usb), are you booting from a usb with archlabs or a dvd?

I would try again, with a clean usb.

Do the following

/dev/sdX is your usb drive, check with lsblk -f command in a terminal
sudo wipefs -a /dev/sdX
sudo gdisk /dev/sdX
use X for xpert mode
use Z to get rid of gpt and mbr tables

Then use dd to copy over the iso file.

Code: Select all
sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdX status=progress && sync

Remember to make sure you have the right device /dev/sdX <------very imprortant.

Check the help and or man page for wipe and gdisk if you are unsure.

arch has these in the repo's under wipe and gdisk.
Nightowl

PostPosted by erikdubois » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:37 pm

When you install R2-D2 from calamares screens make sure you, select the following screen

There can not be any left-overs from manjaro.

Took the picture from here : https://archlabsblog.wordpress.com/2017 ... hlabs-5-0/
Other installation tutorials : http://erikdubois.be/category/linux/arc ... tallation/

There is a reason you are getting some of the messages. Follow the articles. The iso is supertuned for virtualbox. Once on ssd/harddisk you need to delete this virtualbox stuff.
Living to learn, learning to live.
Linux fits well in my life's motto.
More info on http://erikdubois.be
Archlabs support articles are on https://goo.gl/AaYI0b
Archlabs support youtube channel is on https://goo.gl/Lovquv
erikdubois
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Basic Help and Support