how to create wifi hotspot?

For general ARCHLabs and Arch issues.
Please make a serious attempt to search for your issue before posting here.
We can't offer help if you have the Testing Repos enabled.

Moderator: Founder

how to create wifi hotspot?

PostPosted by postbox_jwr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 am

I am going into the network manager, adding new WiFi connection, choosing Hotspot, naming connection and SSID, and making sure IPv4 is set to share. Can't seem to connect though. I'm wanting to create a hotpot on my laptop that my android phone can connect to--am I missing a step?
postbox_jwr

Running Release: 5.0.0

Re: how to create wifi hotspot?

PostPosted by erikdubois » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Never done that myself.
We always go to the Arch Wiki to learn more.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/so ... cess_point
Living to learn, learning to live.
Linux fits well in my life's motto.
More info on http://erikdubois.be
Archlabs support articles are on https://goo.gl/AaYI0b
Archlabs support youtube channel is on https://goo.gl/Lovquv
erikdubois
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by postbox_jwr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am

thanks...it's all a little over my head, but I shall press on.
postbox_jwr

PostPosted by Nightowl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 pm

On my samsung s6 i create the hotspot on the phone first and then have network manager search for it. Has to be set to discoverable on both phone and laptop. If your phone is setup right to allow all connected devices network manager should find your ssid. Then you can go back to the phone and only allow certain devices to connect via there mac/ip address.

On mobile phone:
1. go to tethering and mobile hotspot setting
2. you should see a mobile hotspot button, click it.
3.usually smart phones give you the needed info to make the hotspot available, ie; ssid for android is is "AndroidAP" then it has a password you can use or change to your preference.
3. if the hotspot is on and all devices are allowed to connect to that hotspot, archlabs and network manager should find your ssid so you can input your hotspot password and save it for future use.
4. for safety, use the "allowed devices" feature if you have it installed on your phone once your preffered devices are all connected, i allow my media center, my laptop and a few friends and family to connect to my hotspot.
Nightowl

PostPosted by postbox_jwr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 am

Nightowl wrote:On my samsung s6 i create the hotspot on the phone first and then have network manager search for it. Has to be set to discoverable on both phone and laptop. If your phone is setup right to allow all connected devices network manager should find your ssid. Then you can go back to the phone and only allow certain devices to connect via there mac/ip address.

On mobile phone:
1. go to tethering and mobile hotspot setting
2. you should see a mobile hotspot button, click it.
3.usually smart phones give you the needed info to make the hotspot available, ie; ssid for android is is "AndroidAP" then it has a password you can use or change to your preference.
3. if the hotspot is on and all devices are allowed to connect to that hotspot, archlabs and network manager should find your ssid so you can input your hotspot password and save it for future use.
4. for safety, use the "allowed devices" feature if you have it installed on your phone once your preffered devices are all connected, i allow my media center, my laptop and a few friends and family to connect to my hotspot.

Thanks for this info--this will be useful in some situations, but I'm really trying to create the hotspot from my ethernet connected laptop that my phone can use without burning data. I've been able to do it before on various distros, so just need to figure out what's different here. I can do it from my wifi router as well, but would just like to have this option too if possible.
postbox_jwr

Return to Basic Help and Support