(solved) restore grub-efi

For general ARCHLabs and Arch issues.
Please make a serious attempt to search for your issue before posting here.
We can't offer help if you have the Testing Repos enabled.

Moderator: Founder

(solved) restore grub-efi

PostPosted by ector » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Goodmorning everyone,
As I wrote in the presentation, I installed the distro two days ago, with clamares, with startup efi, when I press f9, everything went well, yesterday after restart I found with uefi missing missing when i press f9 , I do not know the reason, but i can start the distro by selecting the disk, my notebook is a hp envy dv7, now i wonder what commands i have to give to reboot uefi boot, when i press f9, i can possibly delete grub And use systemboot, plus I wonder why I installed it in / boot / efi, when arch only uses / boot.
Thanks for your help
Last edited by ector on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
ector

Re: restore grub-efi

PostPosted by natemaia » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello ector, apologies on a late response
If you've already solved your issue then all the better
1. What boot mode was your laptop default (leagacy or uefi)?
2. Are you dual/or more booting? & What bootloader are you using (I am assuming grub)
3. If above answer is yes & yes, do you have the grub bootloader (aka. archlabs in this case) set to the highest or first in the boot order

If the above doesnt help and it is UEFI boot you can try my suggestion below
Other than that you may try repeatedly pressing f2 or delete (whatever key your pc uses to get to bios)
Inside the bios you should have a tab or page called boot, boot options, etc You need to make sure that secure boot is turned off or atleast set to "other os" just not windows
You may also want to disable secure boot altogether by changing to legacy boot
There is also the option of installing grub from a usb live booted drive it takes a bit of know how, but definitly do-able

Really hope this helps
Nate
natemaia
ArchLabs Guru
ArchLabs Guru

Running Release: 5.0

PostPosted by ector » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Hello,
Then I point out that I was not accurate, I installed it on h.d. External in uefi mode with secure-boot disabled.
Archlabs works, just press esc, f9, the disk appears and arrive at the boot uefi.
The problem is that when I installed the first time, pressing esc, f9 appeared to boot id archlabs without having to sort the other steps, the same thing if it did:
grub-install --target = x86_64-efi --efi-directory = / boot/efi - bootloader-id = arch-grub --recheck
Once this command is given, the id arch-grub appears when I press esc, f9, if I select it, start grub.
The strange thing is that if I turn off and restart the second time the id disappears, and I have to look for id from, esc, f9, selecting h.d. outside, just have time to take photos so you understand better.
Another thing I would like to know is because it is installed in / boot / efi while archlinux installs it in / boot.
thank you for answering
Sorry if the english is not very correct, use google translate

edit
Now I started from the selection, esc, f9,h.d. / boot / efi / EFI / ARCHLabs, see photos.
If you do the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=arch-ector --recheck

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=arch-ector --recheck
[sudo] password for giosue:
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
[giosue@giosue-pc ~]$

If I restart, when I press esc, f9, I find the id arch-ector directly in f9, if I select it starts grub, the problem is that when I reboot the second time it disappears and I have to search in esc, f9, hd, boot / efi / EFI / arch-ector.

I hope I have explained
ector

PostPosted by ector » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:35 pm

As you see at startup, I have the id arch-ector, started grub by arch-ector, as by photo.
The second entry is booting archlinux xfce with system-boot, now if the arch-ector reboot disappears and I have to try booting from efi file, i select h.d. And boot / efi / etc etc.
And started out there :D
edit
Maybe I've solved it, and I think the problem of the disappearance of the id, for not having run:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After installing grub-uefi,the id now appears in f9.
thank you

riedit
At the second restart id entrie arch-ector has disappeared! :twisted:
grr!
ector

Re: (solved) restore grub-efi

PostPosted by natemaia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Hmm, this sounds to me like you know what you are doing, on the linux end so it still sounds like a bios boot issue. Immediately while booting press f2 or delete like i mentioned before, Within your bios there will be a boot section (something along those lines) there will be a list of available devices you should try changing it from whatever it is to boot from usb first (top of the list) (your h.d. is an external usb) possibly also inside hard drive boot properties or something similar. Not the list you would use to boot a live usb like in your screenshot . My advice is to let the archlabs grub bootloader take care of booting your other distros. It has os-prober installed by default so by running
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
it should be able to list other os on all storage connected to the system.
You just need to navigate the bios a little, all of them are slightly different (more pictures would be helpful for sure)
If you cannot get that to work i will try to help find a different solution

Sorry for the late response
Nate
natemaia
ArchLabs Guru
ArchLabs Guru

Running Release: 5.0

Re: (solved) restore grub-efi

PostPosted by natemaia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Something like Image
natemaia
ArchLabs Guru